The following is a copy of an email I sent to Tessa, Ferdinand, Lloyd, and Micth on March 11:
I’ve been working/playing for the last few weeks trying to get ready for my trip to the Philippines, but unfocusedly, and maybe starting down too many paths.
First off, let me say I’m anxious to help in whatever way all of you suggest. You know much better than I what’s needed.
My experiences in Haiti have led me to focus my learning on low power school server solutions.
I have bought 3 low power servers, 1 UPS, 1 battery charger, 1 AP, 1 arduino microcontroller, and various ethernet, usb, power adapters which I will use in trying to set up demonstration projects. If any of this can be deployed in schools, so that we can test these servers, that’s great.
But my initial motivation is to learn what I need to learn on the ground, so I can teach others, and document our experiences on the web.
I’m hoping that Rommel’s suggestion that I buy 2 deep cycle batteries when I arrive in Manila can happen.
The demonstration projects I’ve been planning are the following:
- 10watt School Server (a fitpc2) connected to a UPS which is connected to a large 110AHr deep cycle battery (will survive 36 hr power outage).
- 10 station XO charging sled (extensible to class size of 30) with 10 Amp battery charger connected to large deep cycle battery
- 2 additional school servers 1. MSI 30 watt 2TByte hard disk, 2GB memory, dual core Atom processor. and 2. XO1.5 running as school server (10 watts 1 GB memory 500GB GB disk attached.
I’d like to set up a hands-on learning situation for the following:
- Disassembly and repair of broken XO’s (are there any that need repair?)
- We can do repeated installations of the new XS-0,7 school server software on the MSI machine (are there any other machines we could use ?)
- Installation of VPN software so that school servers can be accessed remotely for technical and instructional purposes
- I need to learn how to do network performance testing. Maybe we can work together on methods and tools.
Regarding the schedule, Tessa has forwarded me info about my flight from Manila to San Jose Mindoro March 26-30. I’m going to need help beyond that level of detail.
So I’d like very much to modify any of this, so that it is more related to the reality on the ground or what you all really need.
I also have started collecting a list of all the materials I will be bringing along on my trip to the Philippines: